October 30, 2017

Unplug

The easiest way to determine if you are addicted to something is to take it away and see how you do without.

My addictions include:

Microwave popcorn,
Dr. Pepper,
Q-tips,
and Crest 3D white toothpaste.

I don't function well without them. Those addictions I'm okay with (maybe a little guilty about the soda but I've accepted it).

For the first few months we lived in the Kaibab we had no wifi and for those months I used all the data on our family plan. I would drain my phone battery waiting for things to load and missed out on some beautiful summer afternoons outside. I knew I was a typically millennial who loved their smart phone but I didn't want to be addicted.

We now have spotty wifi so I don't hog the data but I certainly didn't learn to do without when I was given the opportunity.

I love tasty videos. Instagram pictures. Snapchat stories.... the works. And while it isn't necessarily evil it sure doesn't strike gold on the good-better-best scale.

I know it.

I know I could do better at being present, being productive and being proud of how I use my time.

So here I am putting it in writing because as the saying goes-
a goal not written is only a wish.

[and yes I recognize the irony of posting it on the internet]

No comments:

Post a Comment