October 13, 2016

Fall Feels

The many colors of the trees and the late afternoon sunlight,
Fall
The soft sweaters and well worn boots,
Fall
The pumpkin cookies and coco,
Fall.

It's my favorite time of year and there are a hundred things I want to blog about. It has been on my to do list for weeks now but midterms, work and Stranger Things (yes, Netflix with Thomas would be on the top of your priority list too if you were me) have kept my days full.

Today I do have to document my gratitude for miracles from Heaven. I sure am nervous to take my New Testament midterm tomorrow but one answer I do know without a doubt is that miracles are real. Christ performed miracles then and the same power performs them now.
My Grandpa went in for an emergency heart surgery yesterday morning. My whole family has been very prayerful and anxious. It truly was miraculous the things the doctors were able to do. I can't explain how grateful I am that he will be going home. He is the most incredible person and I love him so much.

It is sad that it takes big things like that to encourage me to pray fervently. I started a blog post a couple weeks back that I never finished about becoming too relaxed in my testimony.
Midterms had begun and Thomas had an exercise physiology test (because he is smart and takes classes like exercise physiology). Before the test I said I would pray for him and upon sending the text message a thought came with it...
"Did I even pray this morning?"

My spirit has been at such peace lately that I have begun to get too comfortable with my life. I'm not complain about being happy. I have been soooo happy lately. However, I'm sad to admit my prayers are hurried or in the case of that Wednesday morning-forgotten completely. My scripture study has become nothing more than fulfilling New Testament assignments.
Why is it that when life is sunny I do this? and then when a storm cloud rolls in I'm back to pleading in my prayers and searching in my scriptures.
It isn't something I'm proud to admit but it is legitimate. When Grandpa went in for surgery I was back on my knees praying the way I should be praying everyday. This last Sunday my fast was meaningful- the way it should be every month.
As a missionary I told myself I would never just go through the motions. It hasn't even been a year since I came home and I have forgotten. Because of the beauty of forgiveness I can "un-forget" and remember what it is like to live my life needing strength beyond my own. No matter how happy I find myself I still know true happiness doesn't come without heavenly help.

My walk home from campus includes the prettiest trees and stream. It is always a good day when I have a few minutes to sit on a bench and listen to the ducks quack. It is a perfect 60-75 degrees outside these days. As I've sat there enjoying the blue sky, warm sunshine, cool air and fall colors- I've pondered:
I'm grateful to be happy. I'm grateful for miracles & forever families. I'm grateful to remember to live the habits I told myself I always would.
and I'm grateful for Fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment