August 9, 2016

Finding Strength in Humility

A quick thought for my benefit.

I've spent the morning packing and calculating funds- tuition and rent and books and a ROC pass (it's more important than books) and my dream of studying abroad in London (which feels really unrealistic today). I was feeling rather pessimistic and took a Facebook break.
One of my best friends had posted an interview of her family friend.

http://www.momstrongutah.com/blog-1/2016/7/26/sadie

It was a small slap in the face to read the story of a women who has trials and financial burdens MUCH greater than mine. It was a humbling few minutes.
I don't believe in coincidences and this morning my scripture study was on pride and humility. I hope to one day be the kind of person that lives close enough to the spirit that the Lord doesn't need to compel me to be humble. However, in my imperfection I was really grateful for the nudge back onto the right track.

The words to the first verse of hymn #130
Be thou humble in thy weakness, and the Lord thy God shall lead thee,
Shall lead thee by the hand and give thee answer to thy prayers.
Be thou humble in thy pleading, and the Lord thy God shall bless thee,
Shall bless thee with a sweet and calm assurance that he cares.

It is comforting to know that He cares about my struggles great and small, that He will always be there not to take away the hard things but to give me the strength I need to keep moving forward.
I have REALLY good friends who inspire me to be better on the daily. Zack, Steph, Hunter and I have been studying the same topics this week and sharing insight in our group text message... yeah I know like I said REALLY good friends.
To quote Zack
"I loved Helaman 3:35 this morning. For a long time I never associated humility with strength, but it says they 'did wax stronger and stronger in their humility, and firmer and firmer in the faith of Christ.'...."

I just know that there is NO WAY I will make it through college (or life) on my strength alone. For I am weak but can find strength in humility.

I'm still SUPER stressed but it was a good reminder to stop-breath-keep breathing-and move forward.
Life is a roller-coaster and it would be extremely dull if we didn't go both up and down.

No comments:

Post a Comment